If you the book lovers in your family have turned into ebook-reading fanatics lately, you may be marveling what to get them for Christmas this year. After all, you can’t precisely wrap up an ebook and put it underneath the tree. But don’t worry; there are lots of fun gifts that your high-tech book fan will love. Let’s take a look at a few:
Gift Certificates from Their Online Store
I know, I know, gift certificates aren’t the coolest thing to buy (especially virtual gift certificates, because you can’t even wrap them!), but you may be assured that this is one gift any ebook enthusiasti will appreciate.
The key is to get the certificate from the right store. Someone with a Kindle will want an Amazon certificate. For an iPad, get a gift card from the iTunes store. For a Nook, a Barnes & Noble certificate is best.
Not sure which e-reader your friend or family fellow member has? Consider a gift certificate from Smashwords. They are a littler marketer that specializes in indie books, and they offer downloads in all formats, so it doesn’t matter which e-reader your person has.
We’ve got to protect our e-readers from the elements, so a cover may be a great gift. There are a large total of designs out there, numerous with attached lights and numerous with pockets and carrying straps. Even if an individual already has a basic cover, they may be grateful for a colorful new one. It’s a bit like a purse–one for each outfit, right?
Check Etsy for handmade e-reader covers or peep at Amazon or for a big selection from a assortment of manufacturers.
Attachable Book Light
Check out Mighty Bright for cool, attachable lights that are perfective for e-readers–this may be a great gift if the book lover you’re buying goods for happens to be your spouse and he/she always stays up late with the bedside light on (while you’re attempting to sleep!).
DecalGirl and other companies develop cool skins for the iPad, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, etc. Made from vinyl, these colorful designs may spruce up the outside of a basic e-reader without leaving any sticker gum or anything detrimental on the case itself. They’re a fun way to personalize an ebook reader.
There are numerous collapsible stands you may get, which grant the user to prop their e-reader up for book surfing at a table or other flat surface. No need to hold the device in the hands with these handy tools.
Last but not least, you may pick up waterproof cases that protect an e-reader from moisture. This is the perfective gift for an individual who likes to read in the tub!
495 of 538 people found the following review helpful.
I have purchased the MAIL, E-MAIL and PRINT versions of the Amazon gift card. All were very easy to purchase (and use … when I or my kids were the recipient). I purchased the E-MAIL version when I wanted the gift recipient to have it THAT day to use OR if the gift recipient was traveling. I ALWAYS sent an e-mail, text or some other way let the person know that I sent it and to check their e-mail. I purchased the MAIL version when that gift recipient preferred to get “something” in the mail to open and hold. Again, I always tracked the package and then confirmed that they received it. I purchased the PRINT version when I needed something NOW, but also needed something tangible to give the gift recipient. I have purchased well over 30 gift cards and have never had a problem (luckily!).
That being said … after reading some of the reviews, I just want to clarify EXACTLY what you can expect to receive/get with your MAIL GIFT CARD order. IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT combine/order GIFT CARDS to be mailed with other items from Amazon if you want the FREE 1-DAY shipping on your GIFT CARD(s). Order GIFT CARDS separately from other items you are ordering from Amazon (i.e., place more than one/separate orders on Amazon). If you do not, you will not receive FREE one-day shipping on your GIFT CARD(s).
1. I read the reviews that said that all of the GREETING CARDS (that contained the MAILED gift card) were sealed and that the person was not able to see which gift card went to which person (if they ordered different cards and/or different dollar amounts). Because of this, I placed 5 different orders for 5 different gift cards ALL sent to myself. That was unnecessary. Because while the OUTER envelope (which is really the Amazon’s packaging for the greeting card/gift card combo) is sealed … the GREETING CARD, which the gift card is attached to, and the ENVELOPE that it goes in are separate INSIDE the sealed ENVELOPE packaging (which is meant to be opened PRIOR to giving as a gift). So, when you open that sealed envelope you will see the card, as well as the gift card amount. At that point, you can also write a personal message on the GREETING CARD prior to giving.
2. The actual $ MAILED GIFT CARD for the Christmas designs are just the generic brown “a” with the curved underline (i.e., the Amazon.com logo). The ONLY thing that has the CHRISTMAS or holiday designs are the GREETING CARDS themselves. (LOOK closely at the pictures that Amazon shows and you will see this.) So, the GIFT CARDS do not have Christmas or holiday designs on them.
3. The PERSONAL MESSAGE that you type for the MAILED GIFT CARD appears ONLY on the PACKING SLIP/receipt thrown in the box or bubble envelope that Amazon ships the SEALED ENVELOPE in. (That is, the little piece of paper that shows the GIFT FROM, shipping address and what was purchased.) Your message will NOT appear on the GREETING CARD, which is SEALED inside the ENVELOPE packaging. The person would have to look on the PACKING SLIP to see the personal message. NOTE: I order ALOT on Amazon and I have on occasion received items that *I* ordered for myself with no packing slip, which is not an issue because *I* ordered it. But, if I had received/or sent it as a gift, that could be an issue. The FIVE separate GIFT CARD orders that I placed and received all contained that small fax-paper like packing slip. BUT, it COULD happen that an order MIGHT not contain the packing slip since I have received orders without any packing slip. It’s too bad that Amazon doesn’t at least offer the option to have the message typed directly on the actual greeting card (like ToysRUs) when it’s going to someone as a gift (and maybe say it would take longer than the standard 1-day shipping). Just a suggestion!
4. As I said, I ordered SEVERAL MAIL gift cards … some arrived in a “book” or “cd/dvd” box and some arrived in a bubble envelope. Go figure! I guess it just depended on who packed it. ALL arrived via UPS the next day (where the next day was a business day). Two of the cards that were shipped in a bubble envelope did arrive slightly bent … nothing major. Probably the best way for them to ship them is in the book/dvd/cd box since none of those arrived bent. (Note: If you live at an address or are sending to an address that UPS does not deliver to OR are only able to receive items at a PO BOX because you live in a rural area, you might want to check with Amazon PRIOR to ordering a physical gift card.) Also, some times UPS/FedEx require a SIGNATURE for delivery. None of the gift cards I received were shipped with a signature required, but depending on the UPS/FedEx driver and the area, a signature MIGHT be required despite Amazon shipping it with a no signature required. If this is an issue for you, I would check with Amazon and the shipper to find out the policy on this. There are generally printable signature waiver forms available on the carriers’ websites that you can print, sign, and leave at your door for the driver so that they will leave your package without a signature.
5. ALL of the information (#1-#3) that I included in my review, Amazon now includes in the ITEM DESCRIPTION. I’m not sure if Amazon changed their ways, added this information AFTER people were upset and complained, or it was there and people failed to read it. In any case, hopefully, my review helps to further clarify. It’s always nice to know what your money is buying.
I have also ordered 2 PRINTABLE gift certificate/cards. It was really easy … picked the design, amount, quantity and entered my personal message. After checking out/paying, I received an e-mail from Amazon.com in a few minutes with a link for me to PRINT the card. After printing, fold the paper twice and voile an INSTANT CARD w/GIFT CERTIFICATE! Super quick, easy and a really cute looking card (similar to those 4-picture square, homemade greeting cards).
E-MAIL gift cards are really easy also. Pick your design, dollar amount and enter the recipient’s e-mail address, pay and you’re done.
199 of 222 people found the following review helpful.
230 of 265 people found the following review helpful.